Other Pipeline & Painting Services
Glas-Mesh Wrap has been developed and fabricated into a comprehensive line of FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic) corrosion and abrasion control products specifically shaped for piping. We also carry a line of fabricated insulating products suitable for the prevention of electrical contact shorts on buried or exposed pipelines or mains.
Glas-Mesh Wrap product is fabricated from a precision manufactured filament wound or hand layed-up ultraviolet protected FRP epoxy with integral epoxy liner and exterior coating. This product is particularly useful to the natural gas and liquid pipeline industries. Glas-Mesh Wrap products are standardized, work effectively, are economical to use and meet all industry-recommended specifications and properties.
FRP TYPE # 240 ROLL-ON SHIELDS & TYPE # 180 SADDLES
Glas Mesh FRP Shields and Saddles are non-conductive, pre-shaped 240º or 180º peripheral snap-on pipes, fabricated from a hand laid up ultra-violet protected, salt tolerant, and fiberglass reinforced vinylester resin. Pre-selected reinforcements are laminated over specially modified molds to a uniform thickness. Sub-zero temperatures will not affect properties.
- Used by utilities for electrical isolation and abrasion control of mains and by industry for load distribution, energy conservation, and insulation protection at hangers and supports of over-head and pylon-supported pipe mains.
- Employed for abrasion control on plastic pipe systems and wrapped cables.
- Substitute for, or use in place of metal saddles where electrical insulation is desirable.
- Ideal for pipes exposed to corrosive environments.
- Protects pipe insulation and plastic pipe systems from abrasive wear at overhead hangers and supports.
- May be banded, cemented or taped into place.
- Special lengths can be made available.
- Oversized shields and saddles are used over bridge mains that have had protective tape applied, resulting in an increased outside diameter of the pipe and without damaging the tape.
FRP TYPE # 120 SPACERS
An extremely strong, 120º, non-conductive fiberglass reinforced plastic insulation spacer.
- Used by utilities to prevent and/or correct electrical shorts caused when buried steel mains contact each other or are in close proximity.
- The 120º peripheral circumference minimizes any possible shielding effect on the pipes’ cathodic protection systems.
- For most applications FRP Spacers offer superior physical properties over other plastics and rubber such as PVC and polyethylene.
- The superior compressive strength of FRP over other non-conductive materials is necessary due to the point loading nature of contact shorts.
- FRP spacers will not cold flow, will not become brittle in cold temperatures and will not soften or distort from heat.
FRP # 60 SPACERS
Use with: EPOXY SEAM SEALER, MOLDABLE SEALANT or PETROLATUM TAPE
Localized Corrosion pitting (crevice corrosion) is a common problem on exposed steel pipes. Generally the most severe areas of corrosion occur precisely where the pipe contacts its support. This contact point is a natural collection site for moisture. Moisture plus poor drainage creates an ideal corrosive environment. Left unchecked, corrosive pitting will eventually require replacement of the affected pipe. Replacement is always many more times the cost of preventative or corrective maintenance.
FRP TYPE # 60 SPACERS used with Epoxy Seam Sealer is a cost effective, long term solution to above grade crevice corrosion. The Seam Sealer is used to bond and seal the inside surface of the FRP Spacer to the corresponding pipe surface. Once in place the FRP Spacer provides protection on just that small inaccessible section of pipe that needs it most. It is extremely important to use fiberglass reinforced plastic because its high compressive strength enable it to tolerate the point loading that would cause a non-reinforced plastic material to cold flow and fail.
The FRP Spacers can also be used with Moldable Sealant and Petrolatum Tape when conditions prevent the use of Epoxy Seam Sealer.
FRP FLATTIES are made of a select combination of random glass mat reinforcements saturated with polyester resins combined with suitable fillers. These composites are cured and compressed under moderate pressure to form smooth dense laminates. FLATTIES tolerate point loading and are resistant to cold flow. They will not become brittle at cold temperatures. Available in 12" by 12" squares or economical larger sheets. We will be glad to quote prices on specific thicknesses or non-standard sizes, thicknesses or widths.
FRP FLATTIES have numerous applications in the natural gas distribution and transmission and liquid pipeline industries.
- They eliminate or correct above or below ground metal-to-metal electrical contacts, particularly on underground steel mains.
- Custom fitting as non-corrosive, non-conductive spacers or shims.
- A standard product for spacing, isolating or protecting pipes and valves from their supports.
- Idea protection for coated tank bottoms.
FRP CASING INSULATOR TYPE # 220-240
A tough, inexpensive, 2 piece casing insulator that electrically isolates a gas main carrier main from a steel casing. Provides excellent abrasion control. The two pieces, one 220º insulator and one 240º insulator, snap together surrounding the carrier pipe and separating it from the casing. No tools, banding or welding are required. Available in special lengths.
Ideal for retrofits where the original or existing spacer or insulator has been damaged, deteriorated or failed.
CONTACTSTOP CASING ENDS
CONTACTSTOP is a time tested method of relieving or preventing casing end metal to metal contact shorts. The procedure incorporates a FRP 180º pipe saddle sandwiched between the coated carrier pipe and a standard schedule 40 steel split repair sleeve.
The materials are generally used over 40-50 mil factory applied coatings, but are applicable to any field or factory installed coatings for new construction and for retrofits.
NON-CONDUCTIVE PIPE ROLLERS
Non Conductive pipe rollers prevent the passing of current from the pipeline to bridge structure and rebars. As a direct replacement for cast iron roll, non-conductive pipe rollers are made of the highest specification polyurethane compound which is cast around an integral steel sleeve to form a full length bearing for the axle. They can be used in conjunction with the FRP Type # 240 Roll-On Shields™.
- Maintain same support strength of pipe hanger system.
- Eliminate chafing and rusting pipe caused by iron rolls.
- Eliminate electrical grounding of the pipeline to the bridge.
- Eliminate insulating joints at each end of the bridge, and include the suspended line as part of the cathodically protected pipeline maintaining continuity of cathodic protection.
- Absorb vibration from traffic or other sources, saving wear and tear on pipe hanger parts.
EZ ACCESS PIPE SUPPORTS
Corrosion pitting is a common problem at compressor stations, pumping stations, gate stations, refineries, etc. EZ ACCESS SUPPORTS eliminate the contact between the bottom of the pipe and its support. Instead, two FRP Solid rounds keep the pipe elevated off the support and provide superior non-conductive supports. This design allow moisture to drain away and evaporate. EZ ACCESS SUPPORTS eliminate any metal to metal contact and make it possible to satisfy current DOT compliance regulations for Atmospheric Corrosion Control.
POLYETHYLENE PIPE SUPPORTS
Other than third party damage, crack growth is the most common type of polyethylene pipe failure. Shear installations and excessive bending due to external pressure are two potential causes of pipe failure.
Inadequate Support and/or protection wherever a PE pipe is inserted into an old steel or cast iron pipe, can over time develop point loading contact precisely where the plastic pipe enters and exits the metal main. Downward pressure from soil compaction may cause PE to cold flow and gradually develop a shear crack failure.
It has always been standard practice to protect inserted polyethylene services with a plastic split sleeve prior to backfilling. This type of precaution for the larger plastic mains will contribute to the long term integrity of the system. Glas Mesh FRP Type # 240 Shields and Type # 180 Saddles provide a superior means and material for protecting PE pipe at any insertion.
The U-BOLT-COTE is a seamless, vulcanized, polyolefin material that can be applied to all types of u-bolts and eliminates metal-to-metal contact. It provides a high abrasive and corrosive resistance on a continuous sheath, eliminating fraying and unraveling. It comes in a variety of sizes and can easily be applied to all makes and sizes of u-bolts.
- It is excellent for eliminating corrosion problems on piping in refineries, chemical plants, paper mills, offshore platforms, rigs and the shipping industry.
- Virtually unaffected by heat, ultra-violet rays, vibration, electrolysis, sandblasting and any other rigors specific to industrial and marine environments.
- The U-BOLT-COTE is excellent for use on plastic, FRP or glass-lined pipe for shock absorption.
- The U-BOLT-COTE also will help reduce vibration and noise levels.
OTHER PAINTING SERVICES:
- Liquid Propane Tanks
- Natural Gas Tanks
- Water & Storage Tanks
- Any commercial painting